Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Like Flat Coke



I remember as a kid going to my dad's house to visit. Usually a weekend stay, sometimes a Saturday cook out or family get together. One of the things I remembered in my own home tonight was ... flat coke.

See dad used to buy the cheap brand of cola and they oftentimes had that "not so fresh" and watery taste. They would usually come from half empty bottles that sat for long periods of time in between use.

Dad and his household used fruit juices to mix their cocktails and so the colas often sat for a day or two etc...

So here I am tonight drinking a glass of flat cola that was left next to my plate since dinner. That was around 9:00PM it is now 1:30AM.

I have not thought of or had that familiar taste in well, since I was a kid visiting my dad's house.

It struck me how the unpleasant and often overlooked things in life, even the minuscule slight annoyances can be triggers later on to become awesome memories.

Even if it is, flat coke.

I miss my dad; he's been gone now about 6-7 years. Every once in a while I get a nudge from God that he's there, I also get those moments when I feel like his son. I can't wait to see him again!

Proverbs 10:7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.

No comments: